Cat poops next to litter box
Cat has been pooping and peeing next to the litter box after scratching some litter on the floor.
I'm sorry to hear that your cat is having problems. That's not a lot to go on, but it sounds like you've observed this behavior.
I assume that this is not just a case of an "over the side of the box" issue. I'd like to ask some questions that hopefully will create an "aha" moment.
1) Has your cat been checked for medical problems?
2) "Scratching some litter on the floor" seems to indicate that s/he wants to use the box. Has there been a change in the cleaning schedule or level of cleanliness of the box?
When was the last time the box was thoroughly washed and dried and the litter completely refreshed?
3) Have you changed the litter type/scent/brand just prior to this problem starting?
4) Has the location or type of litter box been changed recently?
5) Is your cat older or relatively young?
6) What changes, if any, have occurred in your cat's life (or yours) or in the household in the last 6 months?
7) Have you tried placing a litter box right on top of the area (after thoroughly cleaning it with an enzyme based cleaner)?
8) Have you tried confinement retraining?
9) Is your cat exhibiting signs of constipation, a urinary tract infection, or any other health or behavioral issues?
I hope that helps. Please let us know if any of these questions bring anything to the surface that might be useful.